Recently when I played with Nokia Lumia 710 I felt main reason is its Home screen interface. First people are very new to this kind of interface. They have never seen a phone with this kind of interface. Second reason is customization is very limited. Third reason is lack of aesthetics mainly at home screen. otherwise very few people will really care a phone has dual core processor or not. Although few people might like its minimal interface. But many feel it as plain and boring.
I feel it can be improved with following changes.
- Provide more number of color choices. At present windows phone provides option to select very few number of basic colors. Provide facility to choose any of 32 bit color.
- Adding subtle gradient to tiles diagonally. Please check a sample image below. This will improve aesthetics.
- Remove or add an option to hide right side arrow. It might be great to add arrow like this as per design theory. But Windows phone 4 inch screen phone looks very small compared to even 3.7 or 3.5 inch screen Android or iPhone because this empty space. By changing background color to lighter color also this can be improved.
- Rounded corner tiles. provide an option to have rounded corner tiles. That will further improve home screen.
- How about wall paper feature for home screen. Although it looks odd some times depending on photo used. But many smart phone users has habit of setting wall paper.
- Transparent tiles. (Check below for some quick sample design)
Adding these kind of features will definitely change customers mind. What u think?
This is the original windows phone 7 interface which I have taken from Paul Thurrotts website.
|With subtle diagonal gradient|
How about this with transparent tiles with custom wallpaper?
Any thoughts on this? Please comment.